FIE & MAROL ACADEMY: OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSIVITY
Since 2008, FIE has raised and donated $36000 to the Marol Academy, a California-based non-profit organization dedicated to supporting sustainable education in South Sudan, the world’s newest country.
Recent fundraising events have included the 2014 Halloween Creepy Cake Sale, Spring 2015 Welcome Reception Charity Raffle and the sale of second-hand textbooks which raised £950 alone this January!
LMU professor and founder of the Marol Academy, Jok Madut Jok, recently provided an update. FIE is proud to report that funds raised through various charity initiatives have contributed to the following developments:
- The primary school has been constructed: 9 classrooms, staff offices, library, latrines, borehole for clean water and staff compound
- 15 teachers have been recruited
- There are currently over 700 students enrolled at the Marol Academy
- The Marol Academy has welcomed a steady stream of volunteer teachers from the UK
- Construction of the secondary school has begun, now with 2 classrooms and a science lab
- The school has now become an examination center for state-wide end of primary level examinations
- The school has scored the highest in the entire state for three years in succession
FIE would like to thank those who have helped make a difference through donations at The Marol Academy in Sudan. Your kindness and support are greatly appreciated!
You can learn more about the Marol Academy at their website.