London - Amman Summer Study Abroad
Peace & Conflict Resolution in the Middle East and Beyond
Spend your summer in London and Amman exploring the process of peace and the sensitive cultural and societal roots of conflict.
This unique program will begin in the U.K. by studying peace and conflict theory, using Northern Ireland as a case study for beginning to understand how those theories translate to Middle Eastern issues. A study tour to Northern Ireland contextualizes the case study.
Once in Amman, student use their new understanding of peace and conflict to examine how the Arab/Israeli conflict; regional conflicts such as those in Lebanon, Yemen or Iraq; and tribal conflicts are being addressed.
Following the conclusion of the Peace and Conflict Program, students have the opportunity to stay in Amman and pursue a course in intensive Arabic language, including instruction in both Modern Standard Arabic and Jordanian Arabic.
This program is a partnership between FIE and AMIDEAST.
Amman Summer 2013 Program Dates
Peace and Conflict Program: London, Northern Ireland and Amman
- June 9: Arrive in London
- June 13-14-15: Northern Ireland Study Tour
- June 20: The Life Cycle of Peace and Conflict: Lessons Learned in Northern Ireland ends
- June 21: Depart London/Arrive in Amman
- July 11: Conflict Resolution and Management: Beyond the Arab-Israeli Conflict ends
- July 12: Depart Amman/Arrive in London
- July 13: Depart London
Intensive Arabic: Amman
- July 14: Arabic Language course begins
- August 7: Arabic Language course ends
- August 8: Depart Amman/Arrive in London
- August 9: Depart London
- Scholarships are available for this program.
- The London-Amman-London roundtrip flight is included in the fee. Students will be responsible for the U.S.-London-U.S. roundtrip ticket.