London - Amman Summer Study Abroad
Peace & Conflict Resolution in the Middle East and Beyond
Spend your summer in London and Amman exploring the process of peace and the sensitive cultural and societal roots of conflict.
This unique program will begin in the U.K. by studying peace and conflict theory, using Northern Ireland as a case study for beginning to understand how those theories translate to Middle Eastern issues. A study tour to Northern Ireland contextualizes the case study.
Once in Amman, student use their new understanding of peace and conflict to examine how the Arab/Israeli conflict; regional conflicts such as those in Lebanon, Yemen or Iraq; and tribal conflicts are being addressed.
Following the conclusion of the Peace and Conflict Program, students have the opportunity to stay in Amman and pursue a course in intensive Arabic language, including instruction in both Modern Standard Arabic and Jordanian Arabic.
This program is a partnership between FIE and AMIDEAST.
Amman Summer 2014 Program Dates
- June 8: Arrive in London
- June 12-13-14: Northern Ireland Study Tour
- June 18: The Life Cycle of Peace and Conflict: Lessons Learned in Northern Ireland ends
- June 19: Depart London/Arrive in Amman
- July 10: Conflict Resolution and Management: Beyond the Arab-Israeli Conflict ends
- July 11: Depart Amman/Arrive in London
- July 12: Depart London
- July 13: Arabic Language course begins
- August 12: Arabic Language course ends
- August 13: Depart Amman/Arrive in London
- August 14: Depart London
- Scholarships are available for this program.
- The London-Amman-London roundtrip flight is included in the fee. Students will be responsible for the U.S.-London-U.S. roundtrip ticket.