London - Amman Summer Study Abroad
Peace & Conflict Resolution in the Middle East and Beyond
Spend your summer in London and Amman exploring the process of peace and the sensitive cultural and societal roots of conflict.
This unique program will begin in the U.K. by studying peace and conflict theory, using Northern Ireland as a case study for beginning to understand how those theories translate to Middle Eastern issues. A study tour to Northern Ireland contextualizes the case study.
Once in Amman, students use their new understanding of peace and conflict to examine how the Arab/Israeli conflict; regional conflicts such as those in Lebanon, Yemen or Iraq; and tribal conflicts are being addressed.
Following the conclusion of the Peace and Conflict Program, students have the opportunity to stay in Amman and pursue a course in intensive Arabic language, including instruction in both Modern Standard Arabic and Jordanian Arabic.
This program is a partnership between FIE and AMIDEAST.
The summer 2015 programs in Amman are set to run as scheduled. Please see the following security update from AMIDEAST concerning current events in Jordan
Amman Summer 2015 Program Dates
- June 7: Arrive in London
- June 11-12-13: Northern Ireland Study Tour
- June 17: The Life Cycle of Peace and Conflict: Lessons Learned in Northern Ireland ends
- June 18: Depart London/Arrive in Amman. Ramadan Begins*
- June 20: Orientation
- June 21: Classes Begin
- June 22: Amman City Tour
- June 27: Biblical Jordan Excursion
- July 3-4: Southern Excursion (Wadi Rum & Petra)
- July 9: Conflict Resolution and Management: Beyond the Arab-Israeli Conflict ends
- July 10: Peace & Conflict Only Students Depart Amman/Arrive in London
- July 11: Depart London
- July 12: Arabic Language course begins
- July 17-20: Eid al-Fitr Break (tentative)*
- August 1: Northern Jordan Excursion
- August 11: Arabic Language course ends
- August 12: Depart Amman/Arrive in London
- August 13: Depart London
* Muslim holidays are approximate; precise dates depends on the sighting of the new moon.
- Scholarships are available for this program.
- The London-Amman-London roundtrip flight is included in the fee. Students will be responsible for the U.S.-London-U.S. roundtrip ticket.
- This program must meet minimum numbers to run and places are limited. Applicants are encouraged to submit their completed applications as soon as possible to avoid disappointment
- Activities may be subject to change