Where better to discover your inner leader than in one of the world's leading cities? FIE’s Spring Leadership London Semester is designed to engage students with various facets of leadership in the global city of London and the greater globalized world we live in today. This experience provides the opportunity to examine models of leadership both within and outside the classroom. Throughout the semester, students will view leadership through a variety of lenses, both theoretical and practical, and reflect upon what leadership means in their own personal and professional development. Combining rigorous academic coursework, an internship at a British organization, and international leadership conference participation, students will return home with a robust experience to fuel their future leadership endeavors. This concentration aims to:
KEY FEATURES & OUTCOMES
- Dive deep into Ethical Leadership through FIE’s signature course that serves as the centerpiece which ties the Leadership London experience together
- Participate in FIE’s weekend-long Student Global Leadership Conference as a delegate and with involvement in delivering a conference presentation, with options to serve on the planning committee and/or assist in the on-site running of the conference
- Gain exposure to leaders across a variety of contexts, including students, faculty members, consultants, and professionals
- Develop an individual, personal leadership plan
- Participate in an internship with a small-to-midsize British organization with an opportunity to develop leadership skills
- FIE Leadership Certificate
ELECTIVE COURSES (CHOOSE 1-2)
Suggested electives to complement leadership studies include:
- Ethical Dilemmas: Business and the World
- International Diplomacy
- Political Communication: Framing and Re-framing Self-Interests in the UK and Abroad
Students can also choose from among FIE’s wide course offerings in the areas of
- Arts, Literature & Theater
- Contemporary Britain
- Global Business
- Global Studies
- History & Politics
- Humanities & Social Sciences
- Media & Communications
- Peace, Conflict & Social Justice
Internships are a hallmark of the FIE experience; opportunities to develop leadership skills abound in virtually every area of placement we offer. During the Leadership London experience, students will intern with a small-to-midsize British organization in one of the following Internship Industry Areas:
- Business & Entrepreneurship
- Communications & Journalism
- Environment & Sustainability
- Entertainment & Performing Arts
- Fashion, Beauty & Lifestyle
- Finance & Accountancy
- Historical & Cultural Organizations
- Technology & Design
- Legal & Justice Organizations
- Public Health and Wellbeing
- Social Welfare & Non-Profit Organizations
Learn more about these areas, including specific sub-areas in each discipline and the entire placement process, on our Internship section of the website.
ETHICAL LEADERSHIP COURSE AND THE STUDENT GLOBAL LEADERSHIP CONFERENCE (SGLC)
In the Ethical Leadership course, students will explore the interconnectedness of leadership and ethics. They will examine the ethical background of what leaders are, what they do, and how they do it. Students will further assess the public and private morality of leaders, the moral obligations of leaders and followers, the ways in which leaders shape the morality of their environments, and the dynamics of power.
FIE’s Ethical Leadership course is central to the Leadership London initiative, combining classroom study with both attendance and presentation involvement at the annual FIE Student Global Leadership Conference (SGLC). The weekend-long conference is held at FIE’s Kensington Campus in central London in early April. It empowers emerging student leaders to engage in inclusive leadership, value diverse contributions, challenge bias, and build stronger local and global teams. Events include keynote speakers and breakout sessions, and may also feature film screenings, special performances, receptions, icebreaker activities, and more.
BENEFITS TO THE STUDENT
The presentation assignment of the Ethical Leadership course will be incorporated into the conference presentation delivered in a breakout session of the SGLC. The group presentation for this course will examine the future leadership challenges in the area of sustainability. In particular, students will be asked to consider the ethics of sustainability in a leadership context. Students will receive an e-certificate from FIE for participating in the conference breakout session.
- Spring Semester — 15.5 weeks
HOW TO APPLY
- Interested students should fill out an FIE application as normal on MyStudy@FIE as outlined on our Admissions & Application webpage. Within the application, under the Academic Program Options questionnaire, applicants will be asked if they would like to select Leadership London @ FIE concentration.
- There is Lab Fee of £60 for the Ethical Leadership course. Students will be reminded of the lab fee upon course registration, again during pre-departure, and then upon arrival in London. The lab fee is payable (cash or card) during Orientation week as part of the arrivals process.